Why Live In East?
There are many reasons to choose East Grand Rapids, but here are a few of our favorites:
- Abundant Parks, Playgrounds, and Nature Areas - From the manicured lawn of Collins Park on the shores of Reeds Lake to hiking trails through Hodenpyl Woods and boardwalks extending out into Reeds Lake, there’s something for every outdoor lover. Most parks and many of the natural areas are accessible to those with physical disabilities.
- Gaslight Village - This charming business district is the heart of East Grand Rapids. You can find a variety of restaurants, boutiques, service providers, groceries, and goodies as you explore the streets. And the sidewalks are heated in the winter, making it a pleasant stroll anytime of the year!
- Lots To Do - There are concerts and movies at the park on summer evenings, art fairs, book sales, charity athletic events, and a day-long celebration on the fourth of July. There are also hundreds of recreation programs and library events. The best part is you can walk to all of them! Whether you’re taking your kids to school or athletic events, heading to Gaslight Village or the library, the gorgeous, tree-lined sidewalks and paths will take you there.
- Proximity to Work and Play – No matter where you work, East Grand Rapids is a great place to call home. The professional offices and entertainment venues of downtown Grand Rapids are a convenient 15-minute drive, and the retail hubs of 28th Street are mere minutes away. An outstanding public transportation system is also available to get you where you’re going.
- Reeds Lake - The jewel of Kent County is within our borders. Whether you enjoy a quiet morning kayaking through the wetlands, waterskiing, or spreading out a blanket to catch the afternoon sun at Collins Park, Reeds Lake is the place to do it. The fishing is great year-round!
- Safe Neighborhoods - The city has a very low crime rate and friendly neighborhoods. Children can play outside, ride their bikes to school, or visit a friend’s house.
- School District - East Grand Rapids has an award-winning school district with an outstanding reputation for academic achievement and sports championships.
- Sense of Community - East is a small town in the middle of a bustling metropolitan area. Whether you’re cheering for the football team on a Friday night or gathering for fireworks on the fourth of July, you’re among friends!
If you need more convincing, consider:
- Full-Service Government - The City of East Grand Rapids offers its residents snowplowing, water / sewer service, street and sidewalk maintenance, yard waste and fall leaf pick-up, tree-planting programs, and hundreds of recreation and leisure activities for all ages. City offices are open full-time to answer your questions and assist with signing up for programs and services. You’ll rarely have to wait to talk to a person with a question on your water bill or to sign up for an art class!
- Library - This is not your ordinary library. At nearly 30,000 square feet, the East Grand Rapids branch of the Kent District Library is one of the best-kept secrets in the area. The expansive children’s area has resources and programs for every age group. You’ll also find reading areas with books and periodicals to satisfy the most voracious readers, plus music, movies, and a local history room showcasing East Grand Rapids history from the 1850s to present day. Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone we let you in on this place!
- Solid Value - The services and amenities make living in East a great value. Well-maintained houses, schools, streets, sidewalks, business district, parks, and athletic fields make each neighborhood unique while being part of a great community. In addition, you’re close to everything the Grand Rapids area has to offer.
- Winter Street and Sidewalk Maintenance - East Grand Rapids has the best cleared streets and sidewalks in the winter. The City’s Public Works crew maintains the streets, sidewalks, and infrastructure so citizens can get where they need to go when they need to get there.