EGR residents now have a chance to serve on the newly created Zoning Board of Appeals, which will take over the hearing of zoning, fence and sign variances on Jan. 1, 2022.
The Commission will appoint seven residents, including a current city commissioner and planning commissioner, as well as two alternates (in the event of a conflict of interest) to the ZBA. The City Commission will be appointing residents in November, after which training classes will be held to educate the new officials before their organizational meeting in January. The ZBA will then meet monthly or as needed to handle the requests.
Each ZBA member must be a registered voter in the City of East Grand Rapids and complete board training. Although not required, the City recommends interested applicants have a background in construction, architecture, engineering and/or planning or another field relevant to reviewing and deciding on requests to deviate from the established ordinances in the City.
Initial ZBA members will be appointed for a one-year term, two-year term or three-year term so terms are staggered and there are experienced board members each year. There will be no term limits, and all vacancies for unexpired terms will be filled for the remainder of the term.
If you are interested in applying to the ZBA, complete an application by Oct. 15. For questions, contact City Clerk Karen Brower at email@example.com or 61.949.2110.
- Oct. 15 — Deadline to apply for a seat on the ZBA
- Late October — The City Commission’s Personnel Committee will review applications, conduct interviews and make recommendations
- November — The City Commission will appoint the new ZBA members
- December — ZBA member training
- Jan. 1, 2022 — ZBA ordinance goes into effect
- Jan. 25, 2021 — First ZBA meeting and new members are sworn in (tentative)
Review the ZBA ordinance from the Sept. 20 meeting.